Pages

Monday 4 January 2016

Baylor Softball Ghana Mission Trip: "Meeting the Chief"

Advertisement Banner


Baylor Softball Ghana Mission Trip: "Meeting the Chief"
Baylor Softball Ghana Mission Trip: "Meeting the Chief"
Last day of camp was bittersweet for many reasons. Sore, dirty, sunburnt, and exhausted, we headed to the field to see 20-30 kids waiting. Within 30 minutes, we had 120-130! Most of them were wearing the same clothes as days before, but just as happy to see our blue bus. Like all the other days, Lindsey Cargill got them going with a rambunctious game of tag and Coach Walls warmed them up like college athletes.

As you know, we have been teaching softball, and today the Ghana kids really seemed to finally grasp the concepts of tagging runners, lining up in the batters box, and home run dances. Even the Ghana coaches were playing a pick up game before our afternoon session.


We also have been talking about God with them everyday. Our acronym for the trip is MORE. Today our lesson covered "R" and "E." "I repent and receive eternal life."

Many kids understood the concept of changing their lives to honor God and then going to Heaven as a result. After our huddle time, the whole group was given an opportunity in Twi (local language) to accept Christ, many did.

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your hearts, God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." -Romans 10:9

Many special moments took place today for me. My afternoon group sang a glorious song about how they could not do life without God. Also, many of us were able to give away clothes, shoes, and softball gear.

Specifically, I was able to give two gloves to a female Ghana coach named Agnes, she plans to teach kids at her school the game of softball (hope they are lefties!). Each gift was met with joy and many tears from both the child and the giver.

Leaving the kids at the end of the day was one of the hardest things most of us have had to do; harder than any loss or practice. However, bringing joy and softball to these kids for three days was so impactful to us. Several children were hard to let go (Kenneth and Benedicta), but leaving them with the word of God and trusting Him to love them helps comfort us.

Finally, "Medo" was one of the Twi phrases we learned today, which means "I LOVE YOU!" We yelled that from the blue bus as we rolled away with many smiles and memories engraved into our heart. I am so grateful to God and Baylor for our 2015-16 mission trip. God bless!

Baylor Softball Ghana Mission Trip: "Meeting the Chief"
Baylor Softball Ghana Mission Trip: "Meeting the Chief"
(Caitlin Charlton) A 7 a.m. church service is practically nonexistent in the States, ecept maybe the occassional sunrise service on Easter morning. But if anyone was tired when we walked into the unfinished cement building occupied by First Baptist Obuasi, all tiredness was wiped out.

I can say for myself that I've never been in a church service as lively or as impactful as the one here in Obuasi. There's something incredibly empowering about seeing extra vagant, vibrantly colorful Sunday best dress and shameless, free dancing, all mashed together for pure celebration of our Creator.

I think, at least for myself, that sometimes we can so used to the structure of the way we express our faith that we forget to realize that there is no rules we have to follow to praise our Lord and Savior, and I'm so eternally grateful for being reminded of that by the beautiful Ghanian worship this morning.

Plus, there isn't anything that will put a bigger smile on your face than a dance party for Jesus.

Vincent's message that followed was absolutely outstanding. He spoke with such a presence and power about using every talent for God's glory no matter how big or small. I've read the passage and heard sermons on it before, but none quite like Vincent's.

I think it is because he so clearly embodies his message in his every day life. Every talent God has given him has been overflowing in his work during this trip; his message was truly authentic.

After service, we met with the students/young adults above the church in a breezy, open, "under construction" sanctuary. I sat beside two twins in full African dress, one whose name was Rejoice, who is studying management.

Another boy I spent time with, Eugene, is studying computer engineering. They were both so passionate about their education. What hit me was when Eugene said, "The thing about Ghana is we study and study and study and put so much in with so little output. We (pointing to his friends) dream of studying in America, because there are so many more resources to learn here that we don't have."

It makes me feel guilty of when I complain about school or studying, because all these people my age want to be able to do is learn as much as possible to be able to grow the communitites in the country they love. Too often I feel burdened by what is actually a privilege in my life; something I want to change.

We also set up an impromptu photo booth that was a smashing hit; I still find it funny that "selfie" has become a universal term.

After a wonderful lunch, we headed out for an experience of a lifetime: being invited into Chief NaNa's palace, chief over 87 villages in Ghana, including Obuasi.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say we felt a bit out of place and nervous walking into the home of African royalty, especially since we were told lifting your left hand is a huge sign of disrespect. There might as well have been super glue between my side and left arm because when I walked up to shake Chief Nana's hand, my left arm might as well have been an extension of a stone statue.

After much dialogue between the elders, chief, and Vincent - and a friendship forming between Sarah Smith and the Chief (she received 100% Ghanian chocolate and pictures of the chief, as well as a promised authentic African robe in the mail) - Chief Nana announced that because of the work he has now seen Vincent do, he is granting him seven acres of land to build a recreational center and church for the community.

The joy in Vincent's face spoke for itself. For a man so dedicated to God's call in his life, I am so happy that our team was able to help Vincent's dream take further steps forward.

Riding back to the lodge, I couldn't help but be captivated by the villages outside the windows. I know I speak for everyone when I say there is a big part of us that has fallen in love with Ghana and the open hearted people here. And despite the poverty and seemingly stricken world these people are living in, the joy and happiness they have in simplicity is something I wish I had. I came there thinking I was here to fix the broken, when really I found myself to be more broken than them in ways I had never noticed.

Spaghetti was for dinner, accompanied by our Christmas morning excitement for the change in pace. We recognized six hotel staff members who do everything from cooking to cleaning to running the front desk. As I sit outside writing ont his beautiful Ghanian night, I'm deeply saddened that the trip has flown by so fast, knowing a big piece of my heart will be left behind, but I hope and pray that one day, God will lead me back.

By Caitlin Charlton and Morgan Groppe, Sophomore Infielders
Source: baylorbears.com

Advertisement Banner


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Blogger Widget